Wednesday, December 08, 2004

All work and no play

I’ve spent the first few weeks in Paulden unpacking, sorting through stuff that I haven’t seen in years. My last major move was from Hayward, CA in a 3 bedroom, 1200 sq ft home with a 2 car garage to Gilroy, CA- a small cottage of about 600 sq ft. This meant that for the past 3 or so years, all my stuff has been in storage.

Now I live in a nice 3 bedroom place, 1 car garage, and I have access to my stuff. I can play with my old cameras, I can set up my darkroom, I can watch my movies, I can read my books, I can look at all my old pictures, I can… well, you get the picture.

Unfortunately, what I should be doing is looking for a job so I can pay for the house so I can have a place to play with my stuff.

Originally I thought that I would transfer my old job from CA to the office in the Phoenix area, about 90 miles or so south of here. Then I thought, well, I don’t wanna.

Why drive almost 2 hours to do what I was so anxious to get away from? That and they didn’t have a job for me.

So I figured, the cost of living is less, I can afford to live on a lower wage, why not work right here in town? So I began driving around town to scout out prospective employers. I got in my truck, backed out of the driveway, and headed for downtown Paulden.

I reached the end of the road and then, well there was no then ‘cause that was downtown. Paulden consists of one store about the size of my garage that is painted hot pink and the main qualification to work there seems to be the ability to smoke 4 packs a day, and a second store/gas station/video rental that “ain’t hiring” says the 11 fingered girl working the register. I suppose the extra finger helps her ring things up faster.

The next town over is Chino Valley- somewhat bigger, but I decided to peddle myself in the Prescott Metro area- this is a city of about 43 or so thousand folks- several car dealers, a Super Wal-Mart (with another on the way), a Costco, Home depot, real life Mall and all kinds of other opportunities for a fine upstanding guy like me.

First stop was the Wal-Mart. I entered the store, headed for the Customer service desk to inquire as to career opportunities, but I got side tracked by a fabulous display of bargain priced DVD’s.

That Wal-Mart marketing team is on the ball.

In an effort to fully understand the Wal-Mart Mission Statement, I spent the next few days watching my new DVD collection. Ozzie and Harriett never looked as good as they do digitally re-mastered.

Remember, all work and no play means that you never get a chance to see your stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home