Sunday, July 09, 2006

Big n High


For many years I lived at sea level- which is odd, because I never, ever went to the sea.

I went to the beach- lots of times.

I went to the ocean too.

I even ate sea food, but it came from the store or a restaurant, not the sea.

But I never went to the sea.

Before I sound too much like Andy Rooney, let me get to the point.

When I moved to Paulden, AZ elevation 4,413 feet, I could feel the change. This high up, nearly a mile, the air is thinner. Until you get used to it, you lose your breath faster, you get tired quicker, and the air is cleaner.

In addition to that, you drive up a little grade to get to my place, and then I have a little porch, and I’m a shade over six one, so my personal elevation is around 4,450.

That’s why I spent all day today on the couch.

It’s just too high out here to do much more than rest.

Thin air and all.

Another phenom that I notice living this high up is that the clouds are bigger.

Well, I don’t know if they’re actually bigger here, but they seem bigger.

Maybe it’s a matter of perspective.

Like when my dad used to use his old Polaroid out and have one of us kids hold our hand out, palm up, and then take the picture to look like we were holding a car or something in our hand? Maybe the clouds just look bigger because I’m a mile closer to them now.

All this thinking made me tired.

Think I’ll go lay down for a while- catch my breath.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Hey, you just have a nap.

Having all those 'elevated' thoughts must certainly be exhausting!

:)

7/10/2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I travelled to Tanzania last summer and climbed up to base camp on Kilimanjaro---it's not the climbing that made me feel so pooped, it was the breathing.

I like my air thicker I guess. :)

8/13/2006 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home